The International Space Science Institute-Beijing (ISSI-BJ) is an organization of advanced studies carrying out its work by attracting scientists from all over the world to its meetings in multi- and interdisciplinary research. ISSI-BJ was jointly established by the International Space Science Institute (ISSI) in Bern, Switzerland, and the National Space Science Center (NSSC, CAS) in Beijing, China, in July 2013. The main function of ISSI-BJ is to contribute to the achievement of deeper understanding of the results from different space science missions, ground based observations and laboratory experiments, adding value to those results through multidisciplinary research, by using ISSI operation tools such as workshop, working groups, forum, international teams and visiting scientists. ISSI-BJ also intends to open new scientific frontiers of all space science disciplines, to discuss the directions and scientific objectives and frontier technologies of future space science missions, by organizing self-selected or tailored forums. Benefiting from its location, ISSI-BJ could also provide opportunities to scientists to get to know the new Chinese space science programs and encourage international cooperation in space science. （Further information can be found on the website of ISSI-BJ: http://www.issibj.ac.cn ）
The Executive Director position of ISSI-BJ is now open for global recruitment.
ISSI-BJ Executive Director
2.Duties and Responsibilities
Within the authority granted by the Board of Trustee (hereafter “the Board”), the Executive Director will have the following duties and responsibilities:
1) Drafting and recommending development strategy and implementation plan to the Board, under the guidance of the Board;
2) Implementing the policies, regulations, development strategy, and implementation plan of ISSI-BJ according to the Board resolutions;
3) Collecting proposals from the science community, for the projects and activities of workshops, working groups and forums, and recommending the proposals to the Science Committee and the Board; Implementing the scientific projects and activities approved by the Science Committee and the Board;
4) Establishing and maintaining effective means of communication and coordination with the International Space Science Institute in Bern and other international organizations;
5) Searching for financial supports and tailored services from those organizations, in particular those from the Asian Pacific region;
6) Preparing and proposing status and progresses reports to the Science Committee and the Board;
7) Chairing the Directorate meetings.
1) The candidate should have a high scientific and international reputation with world-wide interpersonal relationships, in particular in the international space science community;
2) Academic title of professor or equivalent;
3) Five years of working experience in a well-known university, research institution, space agency or international organization; and candidates with management experiences shall have priorities;
4) Priority will be considered to candidates who are familiar with ISSI operations and have good relationships with ISSI.
5) The candidate will be based in Beijing for at least 12 weeks and up to 36 weeks per year depending on the planned activities, with a minimum of 2 weeks per stay; the working language is English.
4.Compensation and benefits
1) Up to six times international round trips between Beijing and the successful candidate’s resident city.
2) Competitive salary, calculated by the actual working days in Beijing.
5.Term of position and starting date
1) The first term of employment is 3 years, with possible extension of another 3-year term;
2) Qualified candidates will have the possibility to take office in November 1st, 2019, but no later than 3rd February, 2020.
1) Qualified candidates can apply for this position from the date of the release of this announcement；
2) The recruitment process will close on 31 August, 2019；
3) Candidates should send their cover letter, CV, together with three reference letters and any other supporting materials, all merged in one single pdf file, to Ms. LI Xiaoyu via the following address firstname.lastname@example.org .